Monday, June 25, 2012

Generation 1- Chapter 4

Screenshot-168

Madison was barely at the stairs with Aubree when she heard her mom’s key in the door. She rushed up the stairs to put Aubree in her crib and to make sure that she at least looked decent and not tipsy, which was how she felt.

Screenshot-173

When she finally made her way downstairs, she noticed her mom collapsed on the ground. What the hell is wrong with her now? she thought to herself and she made sure her mom was at least breathing. After waiting a while she finally said, “Mom, get up.”

Screenshot-182

“Baby! Hey!” Lanya slurred. She had clearly been drinking for hours before getting home. Great, here we go again, Madison thought as her mother clumsily gave her a hug. “I got you something baby! I hope you like it!” she shoved a gift box in Madison’s hands and beamed as she watched her open it. Madison was hesitant to open the box, but knew she should in order to make her mom happy. When she opened the box, she realized her mom had given her a bottle of 40 proof vodka. “Umm thanks mom! I’ll just put it on the bar shelf…with the other bottles". She hurried over to the bar and put the bottle of vodka on the shelf. She knew that it would be gone within days anyways.

Screenshot-178

“Oh baby! I had the most amazing time! I’m not exactly sure where I went. Billy tried to make it a surprise for me. But anyways, in the mornings we would go jogging and Billy is just the most amazing man ever! You have to meet him!” Madison wasn’t hardly listening to her mother, but when she finally looked up at her she noticed her mom had a big bruise by her eye. “Mom what happened to your eye? It looks like you’ve been punched or something!” Lanya touched her face and turned away, “Oh baby that’s nothing. I…ummm…I fell…yea! I fell! You know I’m a clutz.” Madison didn’t believe her mom, but she knew that it was time for the big talk she had been dreading since her mom’s downward spiral begun.

Screenshot-20

The next morning she called her aunt Lindy to discuss how to go about talking to her mom. “Maddie, I’ve been waiting for this day! We all know your mother has taken a turn for the worse with her drug and alcohol problems. I never thought it would get this bad. Anyways, I have already called the Starlight Springs Rehab Centre. They have a spot available for your mom, whenever she decides to go in. I say you just sit her down with Bentley as well and just tell her how you feel. It is important for her to know that she is still loved and that is why you’re doing this. I’ve just sent you a voice message to share with your mom at the meeting. Let me know how it goes kiddo!” And with that, Madison had the confidence she needed to finally sit down with her mom. She just prayed everything went well.

Screenshot-21

“Gosh Maddie I’m so hungry! What exactly is so important that you need to interrupt my eating time?” Madison took a deep breath and searched for the words to say, “Umm, Mom, Bentley, Aubree and I really love you…” Lanya smiled, “And I love you all too my dear but whats the point?” “Well mom we’re worried about you. All you do is drink and sleep and we don’t want to see you die!” At this point Madison and Bentley both started heavily crying and Lanya grimaced, “What else is there Maddie? Huh?!? You don’t like my drinking? Well that’s just too damn bad!” Madison couldn’t speak anymore, she pushed the play button for the voice message her aunt had sent for the meeting. Their sobs were interrupted with this message: "Laney, I love you but you are taking this habit of yours too far! The kids are worried, I’m worried, hell even Charles is worried and life for you just can’t continue like this. I can’t believe you are putting your children through the same thing we both despised as kids. I get that Charles’ drinking and abuse towards you was the catalyst but Laney it’s up to you to be strong for your family. I have a spot for you at Starlight Shores Rehab Centre and it is imperative that you go for the sake of your life and your family’s lives. If you choose not to go, I will have no choice but to take the kids from you. I have already contacted the police and they are ready to remove them if need be. Please Laney, take control of your life again! I love you!” Lanya started crying as the voice message stopped. All 3 were crying, however the only audible words spoken were the following: Alright I’ll go!

Screenshot-26

After giving her children each a hug and a kiss, Lanya picked up her suitcase and hopped into the cab that was waiting for her. This was such a bittersweet moment for her, but she knew that it was best for her and for her family.

Screenshot-31

While Lanya was away at rehab, Madison did her best to keep the house in order. She cooked daily, cleaned and made sure Bentley and his friends did their homework before watching TV or playing outside.

Screenshot-36

Her favorite thing to do was read Aubree a story before bed time. She loved spending time with her baby sister. She is just the cutest thing!

Screenshot-43

One night while she was mailing off some bills, she heard someone call her name. When she turned around it was Kyle Platt, her high school crush! “Hey Kyle, what are you doing here?”  Kyle looked shy for a second and said, “Hey Mad, you got a sec? I need to talk to you about something.” Madison’s heart did somersaults as she said, “Sure come inside. I’ll get us some drinks.”

Screenshot-46

She finished setting the drinks down on the bar top and went to turn around when Kyle pulled her into a hug. “Kyle, what are you doing?” she flirtatiously questioned. “Mad, look, I can’t lie to you. I really think I like you and ever since your party I couldn’t stop thinking about you. I was just wondering if you would go to the prom with me?” Madison’s heart went from doing somersaults to trying to bungee jump out of her throat, “You want to go with me? I don’t know what to say Kyle…of course, of course I’ll go with you!” Kyle was leaning in for a kiss, when all of a sudden Madison’s phone started ringing. She looked at the call display, the number for the rehab centre flashed across the screen. “Kyle would you excuse me for a second?” she said as she moved towards the kitchen. “Actually, it’s getting late so I better be going. See you at school tomorrow Mad!” Kyle gave her a hug and dashed out the door. Madison quickly answered the phone.

Screenshot-28

“Hello?”

“Hey Maddie! It’s Mom, how are you? I’ve missed you all so much, but this was the best decision I could have made for me…for us. Anyways, I have good news!” Madison hesitated in answering. She wasn’t sure how to read this conversation with her mom, especially considering her mom was usually high or drunk whenever they would speak. “What’s the good news mom?” Lanya took a deep breath and said, “I’ve successfully completed my rehab program. I’m coming home tomorrow!”

2 comments:

  1. I hope Lanya becomes the mother her kids need her to be and not fall back into old habits. Great chapter, keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the program helped Lanya! Can't wait for more, I love your story. :)

    ReplyDelete